Thursday, March 31, 2005

What you need to know in order to know me

I had to ask someone yesterday what I need to know in order to know them. It's a hellish question. Came at the end of a series of extended, and rather harrowing interviews, but it had to be done. The irony of it was that someone else, who knew nothing of the previous situation, turned that same question on me less than an hour later. And I couldn't answer it. In fact, I sat up all last night thinking it over. Untill finally, I pulled out a bunch of old journals and scraps of writing from my early teens on, and read all the way through them. Not an entirely pleasant experience, but at long last, as I lay on my bed feeling a little dazed, and watching the first rays of sunlight slide across the window sill, I had a breakthrough. I am all about communication. I am absolutely motivated by a desire to communicate. I want to be heard and understood, but I also really want to hear, and understand. It makes me feel valued and valuable, and frustrated when it doesn't happen. I sing to communicate. I listen to music to be communicated with. I write to communicate, and in some ways, I write to be communicated with. I want you to read what I write, and recognize it, and feel like you know and are known by me. I want you to hear me sing, and understand what I can't say in words. I want to meet you on neutral territory through music. It's something you, dear reader, and I, both own.
I am still developing a voice, but I need to hear your voice in order to develop my own.
I am all about communication, and to know me, you need to understand that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home